sharon's paradise planet tour

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Welcome to Thailand - saving face

Today, I walk into my room that I pay 80 baht nightly for (the equivalent of $2 US – a bargain for some reason in this overpriced tourist town) only to find one of the beds missing - the twin bed that Nicole uses. Now, what’s left is the king sized bed that Mag and I share. It doesn’t have any sheets, and every time Mag moves, I wake up, but still, it’s a bed. But three’s a crowd.

A note lay on the floor:

We take (May I) bed (small) from your room.

-Owner Khaolak Palm Hill
Ms. Dee

Turns out the motel is missing a bed in another room and management makes up a phony story about us not paying rent (it’s paid for two more weeks) to justify taking ours. The Thai art of “saving face.” Welcome to Thailand, I think to myself.